The Cathedral of Haderslev

The Cathedral of Haderslev, "Our Lady", is the oldest building in the City. The first church we know of was build of ashlar masonry in the middle of the 12th century. Probably following a fire, the existing church vas built of bricks in the last part of the 13th century in Romanesque/Gothic style as a broad ?Hall Church? of considerable size. The solution was chosen because the church was converted into a collegiate church for the Cathedral in Schleswig. 
 

The church got it cathedral look in the years 1420 to 1440, when it was extended upwards (22m), and on the outside chapels to the north and the south were added. With this appearance the Church of Our Lady became the centre for the first Evangelical-Lutheran church order in Denmark in 1525.
 

In 1627, a fire destroyed large parts of the city. The church was also damaged; the big tower, the western chapels and large part of the north-western building collapsed. The church was reconstructed in its present form, now without the tower and the two western chapels.
 

After the reunification with the rest of Denmark, the Church of Our Lady became the obvious choice for a Cathedral in the now independent Haderslev diocese in 1922.
 
Further information's will follow.

Pictures can be seen on the Danish pages.
 
The Cathedral is a part of The European Route of Brick Gothic.